Photobucket

Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Sweet Life

 
Life is sweet y'all and I'm not just saying that because Brandon requested I pick up a chocolate tart last night and he left three fourths of it here with me for the rest of the week. I'm talking sweet, sweet moments of life that come and go to quickly.
 
I had one of those moments today.
 
I was walking up the stairs to wait for the train. It is a busy train station to start with but it was probably like what we call rush hour back home but instead of cars it's mobs of people. I had heard a little voice yell out, 'Amagasaki', and I turned to see a small boy probably three in age. It was strange hearing it for some reason. It was in his voice something different. I didn't think anymore of it.
 
The train comes and everyone piles in. It's not extremely tight, but there is not a lot of room to move. I am standing near the door and in front of me is a mom and her stroller with a baby. The baby starts to get fussy and you can see some of the people on the train start to get agitated. In her attempt to quiet the baby she moves the stroller back just a little bit and on the other side is the most adorable little Japanese boy I've laid eyes on. He has a full round face and longer hair. I quickly remember that is the boy that I heard yelling before the train arrived.
 
He locks eyes with me and this conversation proceeds to happen:
 
Boy: hello (he isn't quite sure about this but he thinks that maybe I can understand English)
 
L: hello (I wave)
 
Boy: WHAT'S YOUR NAME? (waving back to me)
 
L:  *** I didn't say anything because at this point everyone in the area turned to see who he was yelling at***
 
Boy: (He points at me and gives a look) English! USA. What's your name? (he was mad I didn't answer and called me out)
 
L: Lauren
 
Boy: (he tries to repeat it. Then he points to himself) My name?
 
L: (I knew he wanted me to ask him next) What's your name?
 
He tells me his name that I can't remember, but oh I wish I could. He had the biggest smile on his face. I couldn't believe this was unfolding. I've never communicated with anyone on the train and now a three year old starts talking to me, in English! I have to admit I felt really silly. I could have said anything I wanted and most of the people surrounding me on the train would have no idea at all what I was talking about. But here is this toddler communicating with me and having the time of his life. It was almost as if he was just waiting for someone to come along that he could speak to in English. When he saw me he didn't hesitate for one second.
 
The train stops. He looks at me with huge eyes and yells BYE as his mom is giggling and hurrying him along. I watch them all the way off the train and I hear him again yell BYE. He was waiting for me to say bye back but it didn't feel right to yell on a crowded train. I then hear him yell bye two more times, maybe three. I wait to see them pass by out the window and he is looking back at the train for me. I give him a wave and he waves back and again he yells bye.
 
I'm telling you all, life is sweet. My heart was so happy after that it almost burst. This may be silly to you all but I want to remember those few minutes for the rest of my life. Moments like that make me fall a little bit more in love with this country and I don't want to forget them.

2 comments:

  1. awww - i love this!! life is sweet. glad you are enjoying it over there!!

    ReplyDelete